Tuesday, April 2, 2013

a little reality

Last night was hard for Curt.  He was moved to a different room last night (out of ICU - hoot) but ended up getting really confused and scared in the middle of the night.  He managed to call a neighbor here (probably dials their number more than his own- so it was the one that came to him)  looking for Carol.  The neighbor called us and I woke and answered.  Chris went up right away just to hang out with him and hold his hand.  He was having some delusions.

Carol just went back up to the hospital - but thankfully she was able to sleep through the night.

Yesterday, I went to water aerobics with her and it was so bittersweet to see all of her girlfriends in the village checking in on her and what not.  You could see the look behind all of their eyes - "I might be next",  the next one to lose a husband.  It's a fact, women live longer than men and it is pretty clear here in a retirement village.  I have never been interested in living in one of these compounds... BUT being here in this last week it is so clear to me that they have a huge advantage in rallying and dealing with these end of life things.  People are over all the time and calling and checking in with Chris and I to see what is needed or will be needed when we are gone.  They are good at knowing what needs to be done.  I'm not saying I ever want to live in one - but I sure am glad they are living in one.  Community.


A picture from when Sage was 3 months old:

No comments:

Post a Comment