Monday, May 7, 2012

Black Hills

Yesterday was long and fabulous.  Over 12 hours in a car.  No one freaked out.  I think Sage deserves some kind of special baby award.

We are now in the black hills.  Their beauty rivals just about any landscape for me.  The Holiday Inn Express we are staying at here is tucked into the side of the mountain.  We are on the 3rd floor facing the side of the mountain and the windows actually open.  Warm and lovely outside, the windows are open and I am looking out at Mountain shrubs and above them long spindly ponerosa pines.  I can't imagine a better location for us for the next 2 days.  We all need some time out of the car and the little downtown of Keystone is within walking distance.  Last night, Mei Mei and Connor walked there and got takeout burgers for all of us.  Finn, Sage and I set up the room and spent some time just chasing Sage while we waited.  Sage was awesome on the trip, however he had a post car break down (totally earned).

Connor and Finn ran off and explored in the Badlands.  I sent a little prayer off to the Gods that they not get bit by a rattlesnake.  They climbed out of sight and I could hear their laughter tumbling around corners.  At one point I could hear one of them humming the theme of Indiana Jones.  That is a perfect moment for me.  Sage and I walked back and forth on the boardwalk and he would just clap and try to climb off the boardwalk.  I would re-center him and we would wander a bit and repeat.  The sun was so warm we all abandoned our coats.  Then we finished the thirty-ish miles of driving through the badlands watching the landscape mottle and morph.
Wall Drug was next.  I have driven out west before.  I have never made the stop here.  It was meh.  If you love gift shops, I imagine this would be awesome.  The boys loved it.  I gave them each $10 and watched them run around trying to figure out how they would spend their gold.  Mom and I grabbed a couple of donuts (fresh made and probably the best donut I have ever eaten - ever) and wandered the main drag.  They both got little pocket knives in rustic wood cases(Connors says Connor on the side and Finny's has a big F - so glad they had initial ones)

Currently, I am watching Sage dismantle a hotel room in only a way a one year old could and blogging until the free breakfast opens up.  He is dragging the hotel phone around and pulling everything within reach off of tables, dressers, etc.  Knock yourself out, buddy.

2 comments:

  1. LOVING the updates - sounds like you guys are having an amazing time!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could totally imagine the Indiana Jones theme while they are exploring. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete