Sunday, May 13, 2012

Kukonon

Last night we went to an amazing performance/ fundraiser.
We saw African drumming and dancing by a local children's group.
The totally bad ass women who started it 27 or so years ago is from Liberia and a dancer.  She is also an elementary teacher.  She taught grades 4 and 5 for 30 years (here in Portland) and just recently retired.  (OK but she looked 4o-ish - so what is up with that?)
She saw a need for African culture to be represented and she filled it.
The kids were...AMAZING.
I saw some of the girls in the restroom and told them I drove from Detroit to see them perform.
"Shut. Up" with a deadpan look.
"no, really, I drove here - my friend is on the board of directors and she told me about this and we made a plan to drive here"  (truth, actually)
One girl:  "woah"
another gives me a typical humoring adult look.
"I guess you guys could say you are a little famous"

I could here them squealing and saying "we ARE FAMOUS" as I left the restroom.

Pre-teens.  :)

Connor loved it and was fixed on the amazing djembe players(some were his age).


Finn and Sage were just exhausted.  This has been a heck of a week and I think we are all a little ragged right now.

Finn did rally though and helped sell raffle tickets.  Connor sold them like his life depended on it.  This kid can sell stuff.  It was a little frightening to watch him work the crowd.
We bid on some amazing things.
and we won some.  I will post pictures in a minute.
We won 2 amazing Liberian women's dresses - so cool and they fit!  I am so rocking the Liberian Muu Muu this summer.
We also won an amazing print by a Liberian painter of a Mom with her babe slinged up behind her.  I knew as soon as I saw it that I wanted it in my house.  SO excited I won it.
There were several people there who have been Liberian peace corps members and they go back often.  There were a lot of really awesome things for auction.

So, Heather is on the board.  They are trying to raise the funds to make this program available to more children.  It is important and I was so proud to be with her and see just one of the amazing things she is a part of.


No comments:

Post a Comment